miercuri, ianuarie 02, 2008

What Jesus did ? - for January 3


No Hidden Skeletons - Matthew 1:6b-10


Key Thought
Nearly every family has a few skeletons in its closets, and you can find them if you open up enough closets! As a propaganda piece, the Bible is not very good because it doesn't even try to hide the skeletons -- not even in Jesus' family tree. Instead, the Scriptures are brutally honest about the failures of even our greatest Bible heroes. You look through today's verses and you'll find some serious skeletons. It's as if God is saying to us, "If I can bring triumph through them and their failures, just imagine what I can do through you!" I don't know about you, but that surely is encouraging to me. I call this the principle of “Hallelujah anyway!” God’s power and grace triumph over our failures. (FYI, for those not familiar with the idiom, "a skeleton in the closet" is another way of saying that someone has some bad family secrets that they try to keep hidden. One of the most signficant "skeletons" is Bathsheba, the one for whom David lusted, then had her husband placed in danger so that he died in battle, and then David finally married her.)


Today's Prayer
Almighty God, I am thankful that your strength is made perfect in weakness. I don't want to stumble or fall in my service to you, but it is very encouraging to know that you have raised so many others up from failure and made them useful and holy to you. Please forgive my sins and empower me to overcome my weaknesses and sin. Thank you for giving me reasons not to give up when I do falter. In the name of Jesus, my atoning sacrifice and hero, I pray. Amen.

Niciun comentariu: